Ghana has become the first country in Africa to launch a digital financial services (DFS) policy according to CGAP. The government hopes that the policy can support various measures it is taking to leverage DFS in its COVID-19 response.
Developed with technical support from CGAP and funding from the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO), the policy establishes a four-year (2020-2023) blueprint for achieving short- and medium-term progress in six areas:
- Improving governance of the DFS ecosystem
- Supporting fintech
- Creating an enabling regulatory framework
- Actively building the capacity of authorities to supervise the space
- Supporting the development of market infrastructure for DFS
- Driving the expansion of digital payment use cases